The Mauritian Wildlife Foundation Flora programme is focussed on restoration of forest through weeding of invasive species followed by replanting of natives and the safeguard of rare endemic plant species through propagation and re-introduction.
Through our programme we aim to save critically endangered Mauritian plants from extinction and restore functional habitats as part of our ecosystem restoration work.
We are looking for a highly self-motivated and conscientious Plant Conservation Biologist to join our team to:
• Conduct plant searches and surveys in the field to obtain information on distribution, phenology and survivorship of rare endemic plants
• Manage the Pigeon Wood nursery/Field Gene Bank and conduct basic routine maintenance
• Collect plant materials in the field for propagation
• Propagate plants in the nursery and provide aftercare
• Collect and process seeds for seed banking
• Conduct planting with aftercare at the Pigeon Wood Field Gene bank and other conservation sites
• Supervise weeding in Pigeon wood and Mondrain
• Conduct data entry, data analysis and produce progress reports
• Assist with setting up and operating a seed banking facility
• Assist with Red-listing of endemic Mauritian plants
• Train and supervise students/interns /volunteers
• Conduct research/collaborate with researches when required
• Assist with workshops, presentations and project awareness exercises when needed
• Assist with plant work on Ile aux Aigrettes and Round Island when required
Applicants will need to:
• Have a BSc in the Biological sciences or Agriculture and have a keen interest in plant conservation
• Have horticultural skills
• Be physically fit and able to stay focused on repetitive work
• Have good written and spoken English
• Be a proficient user of Microsoft Office and have knowledge of GIS
• Have experience of working with and maintaining databases
• Be ready to adapt to unforeseen circumstances with initiative and due care
• Be proactive and work well within a team and alone
• Be flexible with working at odd hours when required
• A full driving/motor bike license is necessary
Please send a CV (resume) and a covering letter (with the word ‘Flora’ followed by your surname and initials at the start of each file name), by email to:
The selection process will involve short-listing and interview with the Flora Manager.
Selection of candidates for interview will begin on 16th March 2020 and will continue until a suitable candidate has been employed.
Contact : HR Manager